Sunday, August 26, 2007

So what if the earth warns a degree or two, right?

You may use this content (better still, argue with me!), but please cite my ideas as © 2007, Dr. Bruce Klopfenstein. Find any typos? Please let me know!
Source: http://www.ethicurean.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/10/global_warming_predictions_map_2.jpg
Source: http://www.ethicurean.com


Whenever an expert on Global Warming comes on television, for example, and tells the interviewer that "we can expect global temperates to increase 1 degree Fahrenheit every x number of years if we continue on our current path," the average Jo will say, "What? A degree? Who cares! That means it will be 74 instead of 73. Big deal!" I confess when I was perhaps a teenager and some foresighted scientists such as the ones measuring increasing carbon levels from high atop a mountain in Hawaii, far away from local polluters may have made this warning, I probably thought the same thing. Those of us who lived in the north probably thought "Good! Less snow!" (I happen to like snow, so I would not have been as enthusiastic.)

I've discovered a way to explain this to even the most doubting of Thomases:
    Your job is to increase annual world temperatures by 1 degree Celsius in three years. How are you going to do it?
Give me feedback on this, let me know if this explanation works, because what it shows the army of Doubting Thomases is that to increase global temperatures by 1 degree Celsius (or Fahernheit, but Celsius is a little more dramatic) would require an outrageous amount of energy. Next, add up just how much energy would be required to raise global temperatures 1 degree C. If you even try to get your mind around this, I think you can understand that this is a tremendous amont of energy in our atmosphere and it clearly will lead to dramatic changes in the weather. Hurricanes may get most of the attention, and they should because they are nature's way of venting heat energy from the ocean back into the atmosphere.

No comments: